Wednesday, May 1, 2013

An apple a day...

The view from my office this morning.

And this is the apple I want to talk about (keep reading)

Today was supposed to be a chillax day at the office.  I scheduled two brief meetings with students and then a departmental seminar/lunch.  That was all that was on the agenda....supposed to be easy as pie.

It didn't quite turn out as planned.

The two meetings went fine.  The students didn't have major problems.  Everything was good until the departmental lunch seminar.

The talk was on "Teaching World Issues with 21st Century Characteristics to 21st Century Students: What's Next?"  It was a great talk given by a visiting colleague whom I've had the pleasure to meet.  We had lunch two days ago and it was great.

At the end of the talk, he said to me, "Zooe, stay put for a bit."

When the room emptied out....

Evans (the colleague):You know, I was so sad about what you said during lunch 2 days ago about this system.
Me: Really...I'm sorry...
Evans: No....you know, it doesn't have to be this way.  Every system is different.  Just because it didn't work out in this one doesn't mean it will not work in other ones.
Me: I know.  I see that
Evans: And when it works, it's really fantastic.  It's great!
Me: I know, I see it through you.

Evans: You are so involved and engaged in this; I can see it.  It's great.  So, don't lose that.
Me: Thank you.  You know, I got quite emotional in my last class on Tuesday.
Evans: Yeah, you were keeping it quite cool before that....did you cry?
Me: I tried not to...that would have been too much.
Evans: Too much, eh?  Well, don't give up on this profession yet, Zooe.  It's really great.
Me: Thanks Paul.  Thanks a lot.  [leave the room]

When I got back to my office, I locked my door and tears came streaming down my face.  Uncontrollably.  What happened? 

I took a moment or two to recuperate and took the apple picture.  A friend gave this to me in my first year of teaching.  I've kept it on my desk.  Cute apple, isn't it?




No comments:

Post a Comment