Sunday, April 22, 2012

A bag of nuts


Chestnuts, actually.....and Chris and I have developed a habit of eating them in bed

It all began one day several months ago when this new kiosk started selling baked chestnuts.  The line-up was surprisingly long and so, we decided to give it a try.

We went home, opened the bag, and starting consuming these nuts on the bed while watching TV.  I don't know why we decided to eat them on the bed as anyone who has eaten these things before know how messy they can get.  Cracking the shell, peeling off the rough bits, and after all that labour, you may end up with just a small and overly roasted nut. 

But ever since then, Chris and I have been eating chestnuts in bed and the funny part is that it all seems so natural.  In fact, if you were to watch us from afar, you would be amazed at how synchronized our motions are. 

We would be on the bed with the bag of nuts between us.  Sometimes we talk and sometimes we don't.  But the funny part is, we never seem to have any hand collisions as we reach into the bag for another nut.  We seem to be able to time ourselves perfectly.  As he exits, I dive in.  When I come out, he goes in again.  Perfect coordination. 

When I get a nut that I can't crack, I simply pass it to Chris (with my eyes still glued to the TV) and he would instinctively know what to do with it. 

Sometimes, he claims ownership of that nut and eats it himself or he passes the perfectly opened nut back to me.  Other times, he takes a bite off of it and offers me the remaining bits.  As a gesture of appreciation, I may offer him a perfectly opened nut the next time around.

So, this process and interaction between Chris and me goes back and forth for about 1/2 hour or so....depending how long it take us to finish the bag or when we feel we've had enough.  And all this happens so seamlessly, naturally, and effortlessly......that kind of amazes me.  Like, what's up with that?

I mean, it's all good and kinda cute, of course, but I've never said anything to Chris about it.  I feel like I don't want to ruin it.  I feel like it's our special dorky time together :) :) :)

(A bit mushy, I know; but what really fascinates me is not so much the mush, but the fact that we were able to acheive such a high level of coordination so naturally.  The academic/researcher in me do find this quite interesting!)




No comments:

Post a Comment