Monday, January 7, 2013

It's.......

............reference letter season, don't ya know?

Yes, it's that time of the year again when internship/job/exchange applications are happening and I'm flooded with emails about recommendation letters.

If you know anything about professors, you will find what I'm about to say below to be quite true.

1) We have poor eye sight
Translation: we can't tell who is who in the class
Further Translation: we dont' know your name

2)  We have no idea about your personality
Translation: we open our excel file, look up your student number, and decide what adjectives to use
Further Translation: A = exceptional, B = very good, capable, C = lots of potential, hardworking

3) We probably have a reference letter template and we just change out the name, date, and adjectives to tailor it to your needs

4) We always always write very good reference letters as a way to say thank you for taking our course =)

Of course, I'm saying this in a half joking manner.  So, do not be alarmed.  To be honest, I feel completely flattered that students approach me with recommendation letters and I will write a good one for them.  Unless the are being ridiculous, then I will call them to a meeting and see what it is all about.  Usually what happens is that I end up liking them even more after the meeting. 

So, it's all good!  Happy application writing, everyone!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment