Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jaded

I updated my facebook status with the following:  [ jaded ]

...........and Sandeep private messaged me on facebook and asked, "Why?"

By the way, Aerosmith has a song called Jaded and did you know that the girl in their music video was none other than Mila Kunis?

How amazing is that?

Well, I am glad that I am leaving this place soon [career wise].  When I was pouring my heart out to Chris yesterday saying how I have 'lost my passion' for my job, he said, "Yeah, I can tell."

I have always done very well in school; in highschool and in university.  I can say that I function well under that system.  I enjoyed learning and I was motivated to do well.  However, when you are on the other side (as I am now), it's a totally different game.

As a teacher/professor/university staff...anybody except students, you are the one providing the experience to the students.  Even though you may be enjoying the experience for yourself, the same can't be said for your students.  Most of the time, they are having a completely different experience than you.

So, you may be up there lecturing enthusiastically about a topic, but everyone else in the room is probably lost and doesn't understand why you keep going on and on about the same point for 10 minutes.

See, that's the reality for them.   And ultimately, that will also be the reality for you when you see your teaching evaluations.

Now, there will be a couple of students who get what you do and appreciate what you do and who you are.  But these come by far and few and are not enough to sustain your motivation to keep going for very long.

So.....I am ready to get out a bit, to recuperate, to save myself...and come back refreshed.   




No comments:

Post a Comment