Monday, May 13, 2013

Weekend Update

Happy Mother's Day (yesterday).  I was far far away from home (15 hours flight time) and wasn't able to celebrate the day with my Mom.  I sent her a card and we talked on the phone while she was at work.  Yes, she had to work on Sunday. 

It was a brief conversation, but I think it was quite nice, a bit warm and fuzzy and all =P 

I spent the weekend at Chris' place and the change of scenery was good for me.  I was able to relax, forget about work, and stop relying emails. 

That was important.....because.....

I received a lot of emails from my students over the weekend about the exams.  Their exams are on Monday and Thursday and so, I imagine many of them are trying to get the official word or clarification on the readings.  I do reply to these emails, but I am selective:

Specific questions that have a focus: certainly.
Closed ended questions seeking for clarification: for sure.
Questions that demonstrate prior reading and attempt of comprehension: definitely.

However, there are some questions that I just refuse to answer:

Open ended questions that have a large scope - essentially, if I were to answer the question adequately, I would write a whole essay on it to do it justice: refuse to answer.

Multiple questions directed at the same topic/concept and without evidence of any thought: delete.

I think some of you may think I am cruel if I don't answer students' questions, but there is a reason.  If I reply these open-ended questions by writing an essay on it (in other words, I answer my own exam question), I am no different than giving the students the answers to the exam.  Moreover, can you imagine if they forward my answer in an email to everyone else in the class?  Then, I am definitely doomed.

So, that's why. 

Call me cruel, but I think this is only fair. 





No comments:

Post a Comment