Thursday, May 23, 2013

People are nosy

It's quite out of the blue....I opened my inbox a few days ago and found this email with the subject "Plan".  I went on to open it and....

Dear Zooe,

How are you? I heard that you will be leaving our department after the contract ends, any new plan in your career?

Best,
xxx


xxx is one of the secretaries in our Department.  I don't chit chat with her very often and for work purposes, we are in different areas (she manages postgraduate administration stuff).  For that reason, we are not really buddies, so to speak. 

I have mixed feelings about this email.  On the one hand, I feel how thoughtful of her to think of me, but on the other hand, I feel "Is it funny?  You don't seem to be very interested in my life for the past 7 years while I'm in the department and all of a sudden, you are interested now? Hum...."

Am I a bit cynical?  Perhaps.  Chris would probably say, "Why are you so mean?  She just wants to know how you are doing and maybe wish you well."

Perhaps.  But....I don't like it, to be frank.  Other than wanting to find out about my plan, what is the purpose of this email?  Is she going to offer me some travel advice?  Is she going to offer me a job? What?

Hence, the title of this post: People are nosy.  Good nosy, I appreciate; but this is a form of bad nosy, which I can do without.

By the way, I did reply her email very politely.  =)


No comments:

Post a Comment